Re: commit messages from gforge -> pgsql-committers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: commit messages from gforge -> pgsql-committers
Date
Re: commit messages from gforge -> pgsql-committers  ("Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@postgresql.org>)
Re: commit messages from gforge -> pgsql-committers  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
Re: commit messages from gforge -> pgsql-committers  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> I can't see this really being possible ... have you seen this on another
> project?

Sure, it's quite common. There's a list of scripts that support this
kind of functionality at the bottom of this page:

http://www.badgers-in-foil.co.uk/projects/cvsspam/

So there are plenty of alternatives to choose from. For example, David
Wheeler's "activitymail" can be instructed via a command-line argument
to include inline diffs, or include diffs as attachments:

http://search.cpan.org/~dwheeler/activitymail/

(that functionality described in "README")

Whereas "cvslog" seems to support both including the entire diff with
the message or including CVSWeb URLs:

http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/software/cvslog/

> For the really simple commits, sure ... but for the more complex
> ones, we'd been talking a load of URLs, for each of the different files
> being updated ...

Personally I'd prefer the entire diff to be attached to each -committers
mail, which would circumvent this problem. Would others find that
objectionable?

-Neil