Re: tinyint - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shachar Shemesh
Subject Re: tinyint
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Gaetano Mendola wrote:

> Hi all,
> someone of you sent me an example of a new data type
> called tinyint.

Hi.

> I seen that is using a well directory structure just
> for compile a tinyint.c.

Yes. The idea was to have it do more than just this one type. Maybe a
bad idea, on retrospect.

> Is there any "empty" structure that I have to use in
> order to delivery compile my email.c or I can
> just use a single line command:
>
> gcc email.c -I. -I /usr/include/pgsql/server ....

Yes.

> I seen also that a library called  libpgext.so
> is created.

You need to create SOME library, and you need it to be of a unique name.
Did I mention that the tinyint type was suboptimal in that respect?

> Shall I do the same ? Are guide line to use out there?

There are in the docs. Start reading from
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/extend.html

> Regards
> Gaetano Mendola

I sent you these sources as a base to build from. You are most welcome
to start anew if you don't like the structure.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting