Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vinay Jain
Subject Re: Is there any method to keep table in memory at startup
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

>Vinay Jain said:
>

>>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>>

>>>If course it is not loaded each time. That would be insane. If not
>>>preloaded it is loaded when first called in each process, and then
>>>kept. It is never unloaded (except by the termination of the process
>>>that loaded it).
>>>
>>>It seems you have been laboring under a misapprehension.
>>>

>>If this is the case than I can make connection to data base in starting
>> of  indchar.so file and close connection at end of it and it should
>>work.... bingo!!
>>it would solve my problem
>>

>*sigh*
>
>You are not getting it.
>
>An immutable function MUST NOT DEPEND ON DATA IN THE DATABASE. Sorry to
>shout but you really need to understand this.
>
>Use static C data, not database tables. In addition to it being pure, it
>will also be enormously faster than getting data from the database. Yes it
>means that if you want to change the lookup data you need to recompile
>your C function library, and to redo any indexes etc. that depend on the
>function. That's just the way it is, I'm afraid.
>
>cheers
>
>andrew
>Hi

ya you are right  but i wanted to escape from compilation and stuff....

I will think on declaring function stable rather than immutable and test
performance....
for the time being i will follow your advice...
thanks
regards
Vinay