Re: The features I'm waiting for. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gaetano Mendola
Subject Re: The features I'm waiting for.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> David Garamond wrote:
>
>>scott.marlowe wrote:
>>
>>>For me, the only features I'm likely to use in the upcoming releases are
>>>nested transactions.  While PITR is a great selling point, and the Windows
>>>Port is something I do look forward to, having to do half my job
>>>programming windows boxes, nested transactions are a feature I can
>>>genuinely use in my daily (maybe weekly??? :-) life.
>>>
>>>While a focus on things that make postgresql more market acceptable are
>>>important, the things that make it more feature complete to me as a user
>>>are the things I'd gladly wait an extra month or two for.
>>>
>>>But I'm not programming any of the code, so I'm just sayin'...
>>
>>I'm sure everybody has their own favorite feature. But I can say quite
>>confidently that the upcoming release contains the most number of highly
>>anticipated features ever. Nested transaction, 2-phase commit, Windows
>>port... I mean these are all major stuffs. They are paving the way of
>>deployments of Postgres in new areas and applications. Plus don't forget
>>all the other sweet goodies like autovacuum and PITR.
>>
>>But the next release could also be the buggies version ever, due to the
>>number of these new features. :-)
>

> The point is that if we stay to the June 1 feature freeze, you will not
> have all those features in 7.5, only a few of them.

Am I wrong or if the 7.5 will have the 2-phase commit we will see pop up
finally robust tools in order to have postgresql in cluster ( mirror,
fault tollerance, load balancer, ... ) ?

I'm looking forward to these tools indeed.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola