Re: What can we learn from MySQL? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: What can we learn from MySQL?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Merlin Moncure wrote:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
My question is, "What can we learn from MySQL?"  I don't know there is
anything, but I think it makes sense to ask the question.
Here is one thing I can suggest from personal experience.  PostgreSQL is
easy to configure and install; one of the easiest out there.  That's
mostly moot anyways since most of the popular distros come with pg
pre-installed (although you still have to know how to upgrade it).
Recompiling php and apache (and hooking everything up together),
however, is not always so easy.  I think lobbying the php/distros to
have postgres support compiled into php in the default installation
would be a big help from adoption.
Ahh the popular distros do.... redhat, suse, mandrake...

  mysql's grass roots support comes
from free tools like phpnuke and others.

One thing that could use a little work in the manual is practial issues
when dealing with application development...especially transactions,
locking, and concurrency issues which tend to come up in applications.
Why/When to use them, benefits, gotchas, etc. etc.  Think 'best
practices' or strategies.  There is an excellent tutorial in the docs
wrt the rule system,..there could be more stuff like that.

Oh, a couple of days ago someone mentioned a wiki...that would be great.

Merlin