Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp
Date
Duplicate variable declared?  (mike g <mike@thegodshalls.com>)
Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp  (Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

>"Matthew T. O'Connor" <matthew@zeut.net> writes:
>

>>This is a good question, and I would like some opinions from some other
>>people more informed than I.
>>

>You *can not* vacuum other sessions' temp tables; you don't have access
>to the data.  (You have no way to get at pages that are modified in
>someone else's local buffer manager.)  You could vacuum your own temp
>tables, if you had any, but I would hardly expect autovacuum to have
>any.

Ok, so I will change pg_autovacuum to explicitly ignore temp tables.
Just to be sure, I can do this by avoiding anything found in the pg_temp
schemea, or is there a better way?  Is it possible that a user could or
would put a non-temp table the pg_temp schemea?

>In reference to Chris' followup question, you *should* be vacuuming
>system catalogs, and you *should not* be vacuuming TOAST tables.  VACUUM
>on a regular table automatically hits the associated TOAST table.

Ok, this is as I thought, pg_autovacuum is already doing the right thing
here. (see the post I just sent a few minutes ago for more details).

Thanks Tom,

Matthew