Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matthew T. O'Connor
Subject Re: pg_autovacuum crashes when query fails for temp tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

> Does pg_autovacuum vacuum and analyze system catalog and TOAST tables
> properly?

Properly?  I think so, that is to the best of my knowledge which is a
bit limited :-)

Toast Tables:  pg_autovacuum doesn't do anything to toast tables
explicitly.  I am not aware that they need to be considered, I believe
that if you vacuum table_foo which has an underlying toast table, then
vacuum "does the right thing".  Am I wrong?  Someone please enlighten me
if I am and I will fix.

System Tables:  pg_autovacuum treats non-shared system tables just like
any other table.  It monitors the activity and vacuums when it deems it
appropriate.  As for shared system tables: In user databases they are
only analyzed by pg_autovacuum, while connected to template1,
pg_autovacuum will treat the shared tables as normal tables and vacuum
when appropriate.

Does all this sound kosher?

Thanks,

Matthew