Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Michael Nacos
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ofthis thread :-)<br />Having done a SELECT * FROM pg_settings, all the information you need seems to be there...<br />
MaybeI'm being over-simplistic here, but the important bit is knowing how you should tune stuff - and this is what I'm
hopingto learn through this process.<br />Now, you could probably sidestep UI and GUCS concerns by moving the
auto-tuningprocess inside the database. You don't need fancy GUIs for guessing configuration parameters, and if you can
alreadydo that, coming up with a GUI should be pretty straightforward.<br /> For example, I see no reason why you
couldn'tcapture the logic of tuning in a couple of PL/Python functions to look up usage stats, size of indices etc.
PL/Pythonbeing an "untrusted" language, you could even write a new postgresql.conf file to disk, with the suggested
alterations.Cheap, quick and cheerful!<br /><br />Perhaps the auto-tuning conversation should take place in a separate
thread,how do you feel about changing the subject line? The most insteresting bit is discussing and testing tuning
strategies.This, of course, is related to the [admin] and [perform] side of things, but there is also a development
dimension.As soon as there is a tuning strategy published, a number of tools will certainly follow.<br /><br
204,204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">Yes, there's a grand plan for a super-wizard that queries the
databasefor size, index, and statistics information for figure out what to do; I've been beating that drum for a while
now. Unfortunately, the actual implementation is blocked behind the dreadfully boring work of sorting out how to
organizeand manage the GUC information a bit better, and the moderately boring work of building a UI for modifying
things. If you were hoping to work on the sexy autotuning parts without doing some of the grunt work, let me know if