Re: gothic_moth, codlin_moth failures on REL8_2_STABLE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: gothic_moth, codlin_moth failures on REL8_2_STABLE
Date
Re: gothic_moth, codlin_moth failures on REL8_2_STABLE
Re: gothic_moth, codlin_moth failures on REL8_2_STABLE
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> My conclusion is that this is probably a compiler bug.  Both buildfarm
> animals appear to be using Sun Studio, although on different
> architectures which weakens the compiler-bug theory a bit.  Even though
> we are not seeing the failure in later PG branches, it would probably be
> worth looking into more closely, because if it's biting 8.2 it could
> start biting newer code as well.  But without access to a machine
> showing the problem it is difficult to do much.

Could be this:

It's fixed in patch 124861-11 which came out Feb 23, 2009. Is this
patch missing on both gothic-moth and codlin-moth?

I suppose it's possible to have a configure test to check for whether
this patch is present but I'm not sure how much it's worthwhile given
that it'll only help people who happen to recompile their 8.2 server
after the next Postgres patch. And I'm not sure we can check for
patches without assuming the CC is the OS-shipped cc. Does cc itself
have an option to list which patches it has applied to it?

--
greg