Re: A thought on Index Organized Tables - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: A thought on Index Organized Tables
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 2:38 PM, Gokulakannan Somasundaram
<gokul007@gmail.com> wrote:
>           I have never written much code in C, and even if write it, i am
> sure i will receive the comment that it is a unmaintainable code.(eg: Thick
> index code and trailing nulls code)

I definitely think thick indexes were too ambitious of a target for a
first time patch. Sequential index scans is very ambitious itself
despite being significantly simpler (if you have a solution which
works -- we haven't had one thus far).

Can you point me to the thread on "trailing nulls"? I think trimming
off any null columns from the ends of tuples when forming them should
be a cheap and easy optimization which just nobody's gotten around to
doing. If that's what you mean then I'm surprised you had any trouble
getting buy-in for it.

--
greg