Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Speed up CREATE DATABASE by deferring the fsyncs until after
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> Hi Marcin,
>
> Sounds rather unlikely to me. Its likely handled at an upper layer (vfs in linux' case) and only overloaded when an
optimizedimplementation is available.

> Which os do you see implementing that only on a part of the filesystems?
>
> A runtime check would be creating, fsyncing and deleting a directory for every directory youre fsyncing because they
couldbe on a different fs...

We could just not check the result code of the fsync. Or print a
warning the first time and stop trying subsequently.

When do we cut the alpha? If I look at it at about 10-11pm EST is that too late?

--
greg