Re: statement_timeout is not cancelling query - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: statement_timeout is not cancelling query
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't know that, but it I think by the time malloc returns 0
> usually other bad things are happening. =A0I don't think that's really
> an answer.

Only if, as Craig said and you disputed, you have overcommit enabled
or lots of swap.

There is a problem though, if you have overcommit disabled you kind of
need lots of swap to avoid running out of virtual memory long before
you're actually short on physical memory. And it's true that Linux has
had trouble dealing with low memory situations in the past few years,
at least in my experience. But that's not true on all OSes and we can
hope it won't be true for Linux forever too.

--=20
greg