Re: Streaming replication, some small issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Streaming replication, some small issues
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 8:30 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> - It's possible to shut down master, change max_wal_senders to 0,
> restart and do an operation like CLUSTER which then skips WAL-logging.
> Then shutdown, change max_wal_senders back to non-zero. All this while
> the standby is running. Leads to a corrupt standby.

The same thing is possible with archived logs as well, no?

I suspect we should have a WAL record to say "unlogged operation
performed here" which a standby database would recognize and throw a
large warning up. The only reason I say warning is because it might be
reasonable if the relation is some temporary ETL table which isn't
needed in the standby. Perhaps if we note the relation affected we
could throw an error iff the standby is activated with the relation
still existing.

--
greg