Re: Postgresql8.4 install breaks Evolution on Ubuntu 9.10 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: Postgresql8.4 install breaks Evolution on Ubuntu 9.10
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 16:18, Sachin Srivastava
> <sachin.srivastava@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>> Apart from libxml2 (which is now being fixed) all other libraries you
>> mentioned , dint get installed (or copied) to the PGHOME/lib directory if
>> the same name library already present in the system (/lib and /usr/lib).
>
> What happens if they are installed by the packaging system later on?
> Won't that cause a conflict then?

Or if the user later uninstalls those libraries -- which can happen
automatically when nothing in the packaging system depends on them any
longer.

But i don't see what the conflict is if they're installed in
PGHOME/lib as long as the installer doesn't fiddle with
/etc/ld.so.conf or set any environment variables. The binaries should
just be built with an rpath pointing to that directory or ship with a
startup script which puts that directory in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Whether
you want to append, leaving the system directories ahead of the
one-click installed libraries, or prepend so the linker always uses
your libraries would depend on how you want it to behave. Setting
rpath is equivalent to prepending I believe.

--
greg