Re: sudoku in an sql statement - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: sudoku in an sql statement
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> I think the Oracle guy's version could easily be adapted to PG 8.4 ---
> those little rownum subqueries seem to be just a substitute for not
> having generate_series(1,9), and everything else is just string-pushing.
> Don't have time to try it myself right now, though.

Interestingly the first thing I ran into when I started doing so was
that apparently Oracle *doesn't* handle the lack of the RECURSIVE
attribute properly. It still put the common table expressions in scope
for the subsequent common table expressions even without the RECURSIVE
keyword, which is apparently just a noise word in Oracle.

--
greg