Re: EXPLAIN VERBOSE vs resjunk output columns - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: EXPLAIN VERBOSE vs resjunk output columns
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 1:37 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> You can see that from the fact that the estimated row width is
> 8 bytes (two integers) ... but tenthous is nowhere to be seen in the
> Output: line.

+1 for self-consistent output. If we're including their size in
"width" then they should be in the output list. If there was some way
to mark the junk columns so users could tell which columns are being
used higher up and which aren't -- which might be helpful if there are
ambiguous names -- then that might be good. Nothing comes to mind
offhand that wouldn't just be a lot of clutter though.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf