Re: problem with pg_restore? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: problem with pg_restore?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:14 PM, Sam Mason<sam@samason.me.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 07:40:18AM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM, Jim Michaels<jmichae3@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> > could somebody rewrite pg_dumpall and pg_dump so that it makes editable
>> > dumps?
>> > most programmer's text editors can't handle more than 2000
>> > characters per line. and I want to be able to edit my dumps.

You need to get yourself a better editor.

>> When I need to make changes to large dumps I use tools like sed, awk
>> and diff, not a text editor.
>
> Indeed, but I still like to be able to use a text editor to verify that
> my code is doing the right thing.  Obviously for large files (i.e. a GB
> and over) it's not going to work, but I'd still expect tools to work
> ("less -n" seems to be my tool of choice at the moment).

Actually traditionally tools like sed, awk, etc had fixed-size line
buffers. If your system has a BSD-derived set of tools you may or may
not run into problems depending on whether they've been reimplemented
since. One of the main distinguishing features of the GNU tools was
specifically that they had a policy of choosing implementations that
removed arbitrary limits even if it meant less efficient
implementations.

--
greg
http://mit.edu/~gsstark/resume.pdf