Re: COPY for CSV documentation - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: COPY for CSV documentation
Date
List pgsql-patches

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>I have reviewed this patch.  Basically, CSV is enabled by specifying
>more than one delimiter character to COPY, e.g. DELIMITER ',"' or
>DELIMITER ',""'.  Is this API good for folks?

(if not I'll be displeased, as it is what was the general consensus
about a month ago)

>Prior to 7.2, a multi-character delimiter could be specified, but only
>the first character was used.  7.2 release notes state:
>
>     * COPY DELIMITERS string must be exactly one character (Tom)
>
>I am a little worried about multibyte too, as you mentioned.

I am not sure that CSVs even make sense in a multibyte world. If not, it
would make sense to disable it in such a case.

(Is that your only worry?)

cheers

andrew