Re: create subscription - improved warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: create subscription - improved warning message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> writes:
> On Mon, Oct 10, 2022 at 4:04 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think the below gives accurate information:
>> WARNING: subscription was created, but is not connected
>> HINT: You should create the slot manually, enable the subscription,
>> and run %s to initiate replication.

> +1

It feels a little strange to me that we describe two steps rather vaguely
and then give exact SQL for the third step.  How about, say,

HINT: To initiate replication, you must manually create the replication
slot, enable the subscription, and refresh the subscription.

Another idea is

HINT: To initiate replication, create the replication slot on the
publisher, then run ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... ENABLE and ALTER
SUBSCRIPTION ... REFRESH PUBLICATION.