Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Inconsistent behavior on Array & Is Null?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark wrote:
> I'm leaning towards suggesting that postgres should follow sql-99 here and
> normalize all array indexes to have a lower bound of 1. Then array_lower and
> array_upper become entirely unnecessary. Instead we just have array_length
> which is exactly equivalent to my idea of array_upper.

Now we finally have something to agree on ;-)

I do think this is the way to go, but it is a significant hit to
backward compatibility. Same is true for supporting NULL elements of
arrays -- maybe we should bite the bullet and make both changes at the
same time?

Joe