Re: pgsql: Remove some dead code in selfuncs.c - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Remove some dead code in selfuncs.c
Date
List pgsql-committers
I wrote:
>> Remove some dead code in selfuncs.c
>> RelOptInfo.userid is the same for all relations in a given inheritance
>> tree, so the code in examine_variable() and example_simple_variable()
>> that repeats the ACL checks on the root parent rel instead of a given
>> leaf child relations need not recompute userid too.

> This change seems rather ill-advised.

Ah, sorry, -ENOCAFFEINE.  It's talking about the access-as-user field,
not the relation's owner.  I agree that as querytrees are currently
built, this is probably a safe optimization.  But do we really want
to hard-wire such a subtle assumption to gain a microscopic speed
benefit?  It's not as though GetUserId() is expensive.

            regards, tom lane