Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Guy Fraser
Subject Re: PHP or JSP? That is the question.
Date
List pgsql-general
This is an example of what I mean :

1) Fill out form to get data.
2) Server responds with java and set of records.
3) Java applet displays one of the records and with out further
intervention from the
server, tha java applet can be used to scroll back and forth through the
other records.

Because data from the set of records is now at the client side,
manipulation of the
data seems faster to the end user than retrieving each record one at a
time every
time they want to move back or forth through the search results. This
allows the
records to be nicely formatted and displayed one at a time rather than
as a table.

Bas Scheffers wrote:
...snip...

>Guy,
>I have no idea what you mean when you say: "With the java application
>running at the client end providing the interface, and the java servlet
>running at the server end doing the I/O, JSP can make a more fluid feeling
>interface." How do you mean? A JSP page on the browser is as static as a
>PHP one.
>
>As for Tcl, ever since 8.0, it compiles the code into bytecode at runtime,
>which does speed up the use of procedures, but it being a higher level
>language than java and not as strictly typed, it is not as fast in all
>cases. But for a web app in a fast enviroment like AOLserver, it is
>unlikely you will see any performance difference, there are too many
>factors influencing that and your actual code on the page is a tiny
>fraction. (database access being the worst offender)

...snip...

--
Guy Fraser