Re: two phase commit - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Garamond
Subject Re: two phase commit
Date
List pgsql-general
Matthew Hixson wrote:
>  From what I can find with Google it looks like TPC might make it into
> Postgrs 7.5.  I was wondering if there were any commercial products or
> open source projects that can provide TPC on top of Postgres.  Or is
> this something that really needs to be handled by the database itself?

With the 2PC patch submitted, you can interface with it at the SQL level
(i.e. you prepare, commit, cancel prepare, etc. by issuing ordinary SQL
commands). This means it will be pretty trivial to make it work with
other components like TX manager, etc. For example, I'm guessing it will
be easy to add 2PC support to npgsql (.NET data provider).

PS: It's really nice to see Postgres coming along feature-wise. 2PC and
nested transaction (aside from native Windows port, of course) are the
main things Firebird has that Potsgres hasn't. After that, we can pretty
much leave FB in the dust... :-)

--
dave