Re: rapid degradation after postmaster restart - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Marty Scholes
Subject Re: rapid degradation after postmaster restart
Date
List pgsql-performance
Six days ago I installed Pg 7.4.1 on Sparc Solaris 8 also.  I am hopeful
that we as well can migrate a bunch of our apps from Oracle.

After doing some informal benchmarks and performance testing for the
past week I am becoming more and more impressed with what I see.

I have seen similar results to what you are describing.

I found that running a full vacuum:

vacuumdb -fza

followed by a checkpoint makes it run fast again.

Try timing the update with and without a full vacuum.

I can't help but wonder if a clean shutdown includes some vacuuming.

Obviously, in a production database this would be an issue.

Please post back what you learn.

Sincerely,
Marty

I have been doing a bunch of informat