Setting up Postgresql on Linux - Mailing list pgsql-general

From phil campaigne
Subject Setting up Postgresql on Linux
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, phil campaigne wrote:

>> Hi Nigel,
>> I have had a devil oaf a time with file permissions.   I don't think I
>> know how to set them up for application that have been installed by root
>> user.  Here's what I have done to make things work for user postgres:
>> change in /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf
>> #tcpip_socket = true
>>
>>  LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
>>   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>>
>>  PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/bin:$PATH
>>   export PATH
>>
>> touch /tmp/postgresql.log
>> set permissions on /tmp/postgresql.log to postgres
>>
>> mkdir /usr/local/pgsql/data
>>  chown -R postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql/data
>> chown -R postgres:postgres /usr/local/pgsql/lib
>>   su - postgres
>>   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
>>
>> pg_ctl start -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -o "-i" -l /tmp/postgresql.log
>>
>> /usr/local/pgsql/bin/createdb -h localhost -U postgres hardwoodthunder
>>
>> psql -h localhost -U postgres hardwoodthunder
>>
>> Now if I try to run my web app from user phil in my ide using tomcat I
>> think I am getting file permission errors.

Phil, backtrack a bit...you can't edit postgres.conf until you've done an
initdb because initdb initialises the data directory, including postgres.conf,
pg_hba.conf and all the other files associated with a postgresql database
cluster.

So starting from the beginning:

su to your desired user for postgresql, ie. postgres
Don't bother chowning anything.
Don't create a data directory; rename /usr/local/pgsql/data to something (just
in case it is wanted later however unlikely that seems).
_Do_ run: initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
_Do_ run pg_ctl to start the server but don't use the -o '-i' switch.
_Do_ run createuser to create a database user of the same name as the user
running the Tomcat etc. processes (user phil?)
_Do_ run createdb -O <user from above step> hardwoodthunder

Return/su to the Tomcat etc. user and try accessing the database with:
   psql hardwoodthunder

Create schema, insert data, whatever.

Use you IDE, Tomcat etc.

If Tomcat etc. can't make a database connection, and you should see something
in it's log if it can't, then go and edit /usr/local/pgsql/data/postgres.conf
to set tcpip_socket to true, stop and start postgresql as postgres using pg_ctl
as above.

If you have any doubts about the database connectivity, turn on connection and
statement logging in postgres.conf and you will see in /tmp/postgresql.log a)
when a client connects to a database in the cluster and b) what statements it
issues to the engine.

Also, it's practice on these lists to reply to all, including the list, when
responding to a message. Bearing in mind my emails currently don't propagate to
the postgresql.org domain could you please forward this response to the
-general list so other's can see and contribute as appropiate. Thanks.

--
Nigel Andrews