Re: Avoid MVCC using exclusive lock possible? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Avoid MVCC using exclusive lock possible?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jon Jensen wrote:
> How would you do a rollback if an error occurred mid-query? How would you
> keep your table from being a big pile of junk if a power failure happened
> during the query?

As most non-MVCC database do: by writing WAL records.

In theory, it seems to me that we could implement an overwriting
storage manager for PostgreSQL (i.e. we'd have both MVCC and non-MVCC,
and allow users to choose at runtime). It would require a *lot* of
work, but I can't see any fundamental reason why it wouldn't be possible.

-Neil