Re: Is indexing broken for bigint columns? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mike Mascari
Subject Re: Is indexing broken for bigint columns?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dann Corbit wrote:
> http://www.phpbuilder.com/columns/smith20010821.php3?page=3

bigint indexes work fine. The queries probably referenced 32-bit
integer constants that were neither quoted nor CAST. I always start
bigint sequences at 5 billion. This ensures that client applications
aren't assuming 32-bit quantities that will break once ~4.2 billion
is reached and I get index scans without quoting or casting free.
But IIRC there's a change in the development tree to jettison the
requirement for quoting/casting...

Mike Mascari