Re: Question on cast string to date - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Question on cast string to date
Date
List pgsql-general
=?UTF-8?B?5q2j5Y2O5ZCV?= <kainwen@gmail.com> writes:
>     I test the following SQL in pg15dev (seems same behavior as the
> previous version).
>     select '2020701'::date;
>     date
>    ------------
>     0202-07-01
>    (1 row)
>    At the first glance, the result seems quite strange.

[ shrug... ]  You left out a zero.  It's not apparent to me that
this answer is wrong.

>    The question here is: should we throw error for such input? Or what
> standard postgres is
>    using to cast such kind of string?

The bar to changing any behavior here is a *lot* higher than
you seem to imagine.

Having said that, it does appear that we changed this somewhere
between 9.3 and 9.4:

psql (9.3.25)
Type "help" for help.

regression=# select '2020701'::date;
ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type date: "2020701"
LINE 1: select '2020701'::date;
               ^

psql (9.4.26)
Type "help" for help.

regression=# select '2020701'::date;
    date
 0202-07-01
(1 row)

If you want to pursue this question, you could start by bisecting
to find just which commit changed it and why.

            regards, tom lane