Re: libpq thread safety - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Manfred Spraul
Subject Re: libpq thread safety
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>However, we really have two types of function tested.
>The first, strerror, can be thread safe by using thread-local storage
>_or_ by returning pointers to static strings.  The other two function
>tests require thread-local storage to be thread-safe.

You are completely ignoring that libpq is a library: what if the app
itself wants to call gethostbyname or stderror, too?
Right now libpq has it's own private mutex. This doesn't work - the
locking must be process-wide. The current implementation could be the
default, and apps that want to use gethostbyname [or kerberos
authentication, etc.] outside libpq must fill in appropriate callbacks.

--   Manfred