Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium - Mailing list pgsql-general

From James Moe
Subject Re: Quad Xeon vs. Dual Itanium
Date
List pgsql-general
John Gibson wrote:

> Assuming similar memory and disk sub-systems, I am considering a Quad
> Xeon system vs. a Dual Itanium for PostgreSQL.  I believe that the
> PostgreSQL code is written for 32 bit and not optimized for the 64 bit
> Itanium cpu.  That makes me think that the Xeon system would be a better
> choice.

   The Itanic hasn't lived up to its marketing hype. The comparisons
I've seen between it and a 32-bit CPU show performance differences
primarily due to clock speeds. So far the only advantage of 64 bits is
address space. And because they are new, itanics cost much more.
   So with 2 itanics you get a slight improvement. With 4 xeons you get
about 1.7x improvement over your current setup.

--
jimoe at sohnen-moe dot com