Re: fsync = true beneficial on ext3? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: fsync = true beneficial on ext3?
Date
List pgsql-general
FYI - Ext3 has 3 modes :

data=ordered(default) : metadata is journaled (at write time data is
written before metadata - i.e ordered)
data=journal: data and metadata are journaled
data=writeback: metadata journaled (no ordering at write time)

The default will not help to protect database integrity if fsync is
false (as only metadata is journaled)

Will data=journal mode help? I am uncertain. A casual reading if these
definitions suggests that it *might* - anyone know for sure?

regards

Mark