Re: Recursive queries? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Hans-Jürgen Schönig
Subject Re: Recursive queries?
Date
Re: Recursive queries?  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
Re: Recursive queries?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
>> There is a website somewhere where a guy posts his patch he is
>> maintaining that does it.  I'll try to find it...
>

> Found it.  Check it out:
>
> http://gppl.terminal.ru/index.eng.html
>
> Patch is current for 7.4, Oracle syntax.
>
> Chris

I had a look at the patch.
It is still in development but it seems to work nicely - at least I have
been able to get the same results with Oracle.

I will try it with a lot of data this afternoon so that we can compare
Oracle vs. Pg performance. I expect horrible results ;).

Does this patch have a serious chance to make it into Pg some day?
I think Oracle's syntax is not perfect but is easy to handle and many
people are used to it. In people's mind recursive queries = CONNECT BY
and many people (like me) miss it sadly.

If this patch has a serious chance I'd like to do some investigation and
some real-world data testing.
Regards,
    Hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria