Re: session IDs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: session IDs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>>I am less sure of the utility of such an ID, though. After all, if
>>you see a disconnect log message for a given PID you must know that
>>any reuse of that PID indicates a new session, or even if you just
>>see a connection message you know it must be a new session. OTOH,
>>having a unique SessionID might simplify the logic required of log
>>analysis tools.
>>

>The PID *is* a unique session ID.  Why is it not sufficient?

It's unique for the duration of the session, but it won't be for logs
covering a sufficient period of time, because PIDs are reused, in some
cases not even by cycling but being allocated randomly.

As I said elsewhere, I can live with that, but others wanted something
that was more unique (if such a term has meaning ;-)

cheers

andrew ("You are unique. Just like everybody else.")