Re: Sometimes referential integrity seems not to work - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jan Wieck
Subject Re: Sometimes referential integrity seems not to work
Date
Re: Sometimes referential integrity seems not to work  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-sql
Stephan Szabo wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Jan 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone.bigpanda.com> writes:
>>
>> I think the first PG release or two that had TRUNCATE TABLE would allow
>> you to apply it despite the existence of foreign-key constraints on the
>> table.  Recent releases won't though.
>
> Yeah, truncate didn't worry me much, but the implication that delete from
> table_1; worked did.

TRUNCATE cannot be used inside of a transaction, and since 7.3 it checks
for foreign keys. So I guess Enio is getting but ignoring the error
message when trying the delete, but then the truncate does the job in
his pre-7.3 database.

Jan