Re: Write cache - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andreas Pflug
Subject Re: Write cache
Date
List pgsql-hackers
ohp@pyrenet.fr wrote:

>>>That's exactly what I think: the DISK has a write cache so it's lying to
>>>the controler saying data is written when it's only in the disk cache.

This would be the first time a SCSI disk lies about its write caching.
There are plenty of low-cost (i.e. IDE) disks out there having a hidden
write cache, but AFAIK a generic SCSI tool is usable to enable/disable
the write cache. I'd be quite surprised if your disks wouldn't allow
disabling write caching, because SCSI disks are usually targeted towards
professional usage.

Regards,
Andreas