Re: fairywren exiting in ecpg - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: fairywren exiting in ecpg
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 2023-04-03 Mo 21:15, Andres Freund wrote:
Hi,

Looks like fairywren is possibly seeing something I saw before and spent many
days looking into:
https://postgr.es/m/20220909235836.lz3igxtkcjb5w7zb%40awork3.anarazel.de
which led me to add the following to .cirrus.yml:
    # Cirrus defaults to SetErrorMode(SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX | ...). That    # prevents crash reporting from working unless binaries do SetErrorMode()    # themselves. Furthermore, it appears that either python or, more likely,    # the C runtime has a bug where SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX can very    # occasionally *trigger* a crash on process exit - which is hard to debug,    # given that it explicitly prevents crash dumps from working...    # 0x8001 is SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS | SEM_NOOPENFILEERRORBOX    CIRRUS_WINDOWS_ERROR_MODE: 0x8001

The mingw folks also spent a lot of time looking into this ([1]), without a
lot of success.

It sure looks like it might be a windows C runtime issue - none of the
stacktrace handling python has gets invoked. I could not find any relevant
behavoural differences in python's code that depend on SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX
being set.

It'd be interesting to see if fairywren's occasional failures go away if you
set MSYS=winjitdebug (which prevents msys from adding SEM_NOGPFAULTERRORBOX to
ErrorMode).

trying now. Since this happened every build or so it shouldn't take long for us to see.

(I didn't see anything in the MSYS2 docs that specified the possible values for MSYS :-( )

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan