Re: postgresql + apache under heavy load - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Madon
Subject Re: postgresql + apache under heavy load
Date
List pgsql-general
Hello Joshua,
Thank you for your reply.
Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> We would need a lot more information. What version of Linux?

 uname -a
Linux daube 2.4.20-8 #1 Thu Mar 13 17:18:24 EST 2003 i686 athlon i386
GNU/Linux

> What version of the Kernel? What is your shmmax settting?

cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
33554432

> What is your sort_mem setting?

I didn't change the postgresql.conf settings:
#sort_mem = 1024                # min 64, size in KB

> Did you use top to see where the hang up? Are there any messages in
> /var/log/messages?

Well as I said before the box is almost out of control: disk is caching
intensively; I run X Windows and the mouse can not point a shell... very
bad. The only thing I see is that cache is filling quickly with
xosview... and then X become frozen (or better said extremely slow).

Abou the logs:
I sent the PHP error messages to a file, and yes there are errors:
pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL:
Non-superuser connection limit exceeded
or
pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL:  Sorry, too
many clients already

Thanks
Alex