Re: Reallife szenario for GEQO - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: Reallife szenario for GEQO
Date
List pgsql-general
Richard Huxton wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2004 09:50, Bernd Helmle wrote:
>

> I don't think it's that it provides a better plan, just that it comes up with
> a quicker solution. Searching all possible paths is not practical for a large
> number of tables, so you need another approach.

Aggreed. That was my opinion, too. Sorry for my unclear statement.

> Google for "travelling salesman problem" for discussion of the sort of
> thinking behind it.

That was the first thing i've done. I understand the theoretical
background, but i need a practical scenario, to show:

QUERY A with GEQO
QUERY A without GEQO

And then compare the specific query plan generation efficency.

In this case I have to think about a practical database scenario, to
execute such queries. If i have enough tables i can join against, i
should see an improvement, in theory.

But what means "enough tables"?

So i wonder, if anyone had done such a comparison already.

Thanks for your reply,

   Bernd