Re: Fwd: Question - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Goulet, Dick
Subject Re: Fwd: Question
Date
List pgsql-admin
The syntax in Oracle is "is null" or "is not null" as in:

select count(*) from module_master where gatekeeper_status is null;

And yes that does work in PostGreSql.  Now if your talking about the
Oracle function NVL, for Null Value, no that does not work and I don't
see a similar function in PostGreSql.  You could create one easily
enough.

Dick Goulet
Senior Oracle DBA
Oracle Certified DBA

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org
[mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Michael Fuhr
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:45 PM
To: German Raul Hoyos Parravicino
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Fwd: Question

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 05:09:56PM -0500, German Raul Hoyos Parravicino
wrote:
> I have a problem developing a ECPG program. I am making a programa
using
> FETCH, when the second row is sent the following message appear:
>
> ==>sqlcode [-213] msg[NULL value without indicator in line 1192.]
[...]
> Is it possible to use something similar to "isnull" in Oracle?

Are you looking for the SQL-standard COALESCE?

test=> SELECT COALESCE('foo', 'bar');
 coalesce
----------
 foo
(1 row)

test=> SELECT COALESCE(NULL, 'bar');
 coalesce
 bar
(1 row)

See also the ECPG documentation on using indicators to detect NULL.

--
Michael Fuhr

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend