Re: Continuous inserts... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Joerg Hessdoerfer
Subject Re: Continuous inserts...
Date
List pgsql-sql
hi!

At 11:38 17.08.00 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All.
>
>Shouldn't Postgres block while vacuuming, and then
>continue inserting starting where it left off?  Is the
>time lag too much?

For me - yes. My app can accept some hundredes of ms time lag - not
seconds or, like with a VACUUM, minutes (I've seen it taking hours,
but that was a _LARGE_ table on 6.5.x).

>I am curious because I am going to build a similar app
>soon, basically parsing and inserting log file
>entries.

Rules do the trick - insert into a second table unnoticed by the inserter
client. See my previous posting for slightly more detail.

Greetings,        Joerg
+------****  Science & Engineering Applications GmbH  ****------+
| Joerg Hessdoerfer                                             |
| Leading SW developer Phone:    +49 (0)2203-962211             |
| S.E.A GmbH           Fax:                 -962212             |
| D-51147 Koeln        Internet: joerg.hessdoerfer@sea-gmbh.com |
|                                http://www.sea-gmbh.com        |