Upgrade Procedures - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Naomi Walker
Subject Upgrade Procedures
Date
List pgsql-admin

>The whole "vaccuum" concept is, IMHO, one of the weakest aspects of
>PostgreSQL.

Speaking of which, we love Postgresql, but I am concerned about the fact
that major upgrades require unloading and reloading the database.  We are
small enough now, so it is not really a concern.  I cannot imagine this
happening with really large database clusters (>50-100gigs).

I know for minor releases, there are upgrade programs to let this happen in
place.  Is there any plan for not always having to load and reload in the
future?

Naomi Walker
Eldorado Computing, Inc
Chief Information Officer