Re: VIEW problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Uckun
Subject Re: VIEW problem
Date
List pgsql-general
At 05:48 PM 10/5/2000 +1100, you wrote:

>I believe this is because the OIDs are not identical. Internally, Postgres is
>referring to the OIDs and not to the table name. Might be wrong, I am only a
>postgres newbie, but I think this is the case.

Interesting this makes sense.

>I don't think it is a bug either, this is rather correct and prevents the
>database from doing the wrong thing (your new table foo could be completely
>different from the first table foo)

Here I have to disagree with you. I can't believe that this behaviour was
intended. A view is not materialized and it's simply a RULE which is to say
that it's nothing more then a SQL statement. As long as that SQL statement
is valid, parseable and returns a recordset it really ought not to care
about oids.
              Tim Uckun
       Mobile Intelligence Unit.
    "There are some who call me TIM?"