Re: Postmaster won't -HUP - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Lynde
Subject Re: Postmaster won't -HUP
Date
List pgsql-general
Wow! Thanks for all the replies!

The version I'm running is 7.0.0

    It could certainly be that the connections are remaining open and the
server isn't dying due to that. I'll play with it a little when I get the
chance, probably this weekend (when clients aren't hitting the server.)
Thanks for the tip on -INT and -TERM.

    As for the query I'm running, it was simply  select * from bigtable (about
2-300k lines) where
                         firstname=<obscure fname> and
                        lastname=<obscure lname> and
                        DOB=<the exact DOB for the above named individual>

    Essentially, the query was hard-coded to pull a specific record from the
data and disply it on the page. While the dataset is  medium to large
(IMHO) it shouldn't peg two 500's. The problem happened the first time
reliably when I ran the query. I was using phpdb for the php interface (I
have stopped using that for the time being, because it maxes the system
every time.)

Jerry Lynde
IT - Invocation/Evocation, Banishing, et al.
"In E-commerce, the E stands for Evil."
Due Diligence Inc.
http://www.diligence.com
Phone: (406) 728-0001 x232