Re: [GENERAL] Non atomic data types and quantity pricing - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Charles Tassell
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Non atomic data types and quantity pricing
Date
List pgsql-general
I've never used arrays in Postgres (or any other RDBMS for that matter),
but it would seem that the best way to do it would be to create a function
that would take the quantity as an argument, and loop through all the
elements of the array and return the value that most closely matches
the  specified quantity.  So your query would look something like this:
select product_id, DiscountPrice(quantity), FROM ....

But, here is where you run into a small problem: Arrays are not hashes,
they have elements 1,2,3,4,5...  So you have to use a multi-dimensioned
array, which is going to be even more complicated. I'd recommend the
multiple entries in a separate pricing table, it seems much simpler (yeah,
I know, it's not as cool... :-)