Problem with CVS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeroen van Vianen
Subject Problem with CVS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I have a problem updating my local working copy of PostgreSQL with CVS.

I did the following

cd /usr/local/src
export CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@postgresql.org:/usr/local/cvsroot
cvs login
cvs -z3 co -P pgsql

I get the entire tree in directory /usr/local/src/pgsql, which is what I
want, although I got the following messages:

cvs checkout: in directory pgsql:
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs server: Updating pgsql
U pgsql/COPYRIGHT
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries.Log: No such file or directory
U pgsql/HISTORY
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries.Log: No such file or directory
U pgsql/INSTALL
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries.Log: No such file or directory
U pgsql/README
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries.Log: No such file or directory
U pgsql/register.txt
cvs checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries.Log: No such file or directory
cvs server: Updating pgsql/MIGRATION
cvs server: Updating pgsql/contrib
U pgsql/contrib/Makefile
U pgsql/contrib/README
cvs server: Updating pgsql/contrib/apache_logging
U pgsql/contrib/apache_logging/README
U pgsql/contrib/apache_logging/apachelog.sql
U pgsql/contrib/apache_logging/httpconf.txt

After the starting errors all files are checked out successfully. I have no
/usr/local/src/pgsql/CVS directory as I have /usr/local/src/pgsql/src/CVS, etc.

If I now want to update to the current version, I type

cd /usr/local/src/pgsql
cvs -z3 update -d -P

I get the following messages:

cvs update: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
cvs [update aborted]: no repository

Which is correct, as the /usr/local/src/pgsql/CVS directory was not created
when I checked out the source in the first place.

OK, fine I said, let's try this:

cd /usr/local/src/pgsql/src
cvs -z3 update -d -P src

Then, I get:

cvs [server aborted]: absolute pathname `/usr/local/src/pgsql' illegal for
server

For

cvs -z3 update -d -P

it's the same thing.