Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Andrew R. Jackson
Subject Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd)
Date
Re: [INTERFACES] Java, JDBC & CORBA (fwd)  (Peter T Mount <peter@taer.maidstone.gov.uk>)
List pgsql-interfaces
First, let me preface my answer to say that the main reason I am subscribed to this list is to read Peter's, and
occassionallyothers', answers, comments, etc about using JDBC with Postgres.

To answer Peter's question, personally I would prefer two drivers, each separate. The reason for this is that I don't
wanta Makefile deciding which one (1) will be compiled and installed when I have two (2) different versions of Java on
mostof the systems I work on (most have 3 Javas, actually). I'd hate to be locked into using one driver version, and
thusone Java version for Postgres stuff, because the Makefile only detected one of the Javas (which would be the 1.1.x
onefor now and some long time into the future). I want to choose. I want to be able to develop a Java 1.1.x solution
anda  Java 1.2 solution, not either/or.

Now, what really matters is good install instructions. If the instructions included ways to solve problems like the one
above,then that's best and I don't care. Nothing beats good, copius, verbose, clear, well-maintained docs. :)

Andrew R. Jackson
<ajackson@dezines.com>
<ajackson@cs.mcgill.ca>