Re: Primary keys and composite unique keys(basic question) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Primary keys and composite unique keys(basic question)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 4/5/21 9:37 PM, Rob Sargent wrote:
It's a small thing, but UUIDs are absolutely not memorizable by
humans; they have zero semantic value.  Sequential numeric identifiers
are generally easier to transpose and the value gives some clues to
its age (of course, in security contexts this can be a downside).

I take the above as a definite plus.  Spent too much of my life correcting others’ use of “remembered” id’s that just happened to perfectly match the wrong thing.

People seem to have stopped appending check digits to identifiers about 20 years ago, and I'm not sure why.