Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck! - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: Out of Memory errors are frustrating as heck!
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 15/04/2019 08:23, Gunther wrote:

> For weeks now, I am banging my head at an "out of memory" situation.
> There is only one query I am running on an 8 GB system, whatever I
> try, I get knocked out on this out of memory. It is extremely
> impenetrable to understand and fix this error. I guess I could add a
> swap file, and then I would have to take the penalty of swapping. But
> how can I actually address an out of memory condition if the system
> doesn't tell me where it is happening?

[...]

I strongly suigest having a swap file, I've got 32GB, and I've used
2.9GB of my swap space after 4 days, but I'm not really pushing my
system.  For me, mostly stuff that is only used once, or not at all, is
swapped out.  If you do have a memory leak, then it might be easier to
diagnose, if you don't run out on Memory.

I suspect that most things will run a little better with some swap space.

Cherers,
Gavin