Re: Support for DATETIMEOFFSET - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeremy Morton
Subject Re: Support for DATETIMEOFFSET
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil wrote:

>> On Apr 10, 2020, at 8:19 AM, Jeremy Morton <admin@game-point.net> wrote:
>>
>> Oh well.  Guess I keep using SQL Server then.  datetimeoffset makes it impossible for developers to make the mistake
offorgetting to use UTC instead of local datetime, and for that reason alone it makes it invaluable in my opinion.  It
shouldbe used universally instead of datetime.

> 1. Not sure I understand. I’ve never used datetimeoffset so please bear with me. How does storing a time zone with
thedate time “make it impossible for developers to make the mistake….”

At just about every development shop I've worked for, I've seen
developers use methods to get a local DateTime - both in the DB and in
the code - such as DateTime.Now, and throw it at a DateTime field.
Heck, even I've occasionally forgotten to use .UtcNow.  With
DateTimeOffset.Now, you can't go wrong.  You get the UTC time, and the
offset.  I've taken to using it 100% of the time.  It's just really handy.

--
Best regards,
Jeremy Morton (Jez)