Re:Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From yanliang lei
Subject Re:Re: BUG #18034: Accept the spelling "+infinity" in datetime input is not accurate
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Dear everyone,
I raise this question based on the following considerations:
1. Make PostgreSQL easier for beginners to learn;
2. PostgreSQL is a database software product rather than a database software project. A product means being more user-friendly, precise, and reducing the likelihood of misunderstandings。

The datetime type may make beginners think that there is a datetime data type in the PostgreSQL database. Although senior PostgreSQL professionals know that there is no datetime data type, the datetime type is enough to make beginners misunderstand.
However, When they saw that the ReleaseNote in PostgreSQL 16 recorded "Accept the spelling"+infinity "in datetime type input",
 the term 'datetime type' is sufficient for beginners to misunderstand , unless it is noted that 'datetime type' is a general term, representing the following PostgreSQL data types: timestamp [(p)] [without time zone], timestamp [(p)] with time zone, date。

I am not nitpicking ,I hope that: PostgreSQL database software products can become more perfect and accurate。
Thanks a lot!

At 2023-08-10 19:25:51, "Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> wrote: >On Wed, Aug 9, 2023 at 10:53:27PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote: >> Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> writes: >> > We call our timestamp type datetime in some cases, e.g.: >> > ... >> > I see it in a few other places. Should we rename it other places too? >> > I thought datetime was just a short-hand for our date-time types. >> >> I don't see much reason to change anything here. "Datetime" is not >> a perfectly strict classification, eg it might or might not include >> "interval" depending on context, and I don't want to try to make >> that exact. >> >> A more specific release note entry could be "Accept the spelling >> '+infinity' for datetime types that accept infinity"; but I'm not >> sure it's worth the extra verbiage. > >Yeah, that was my analysis too. > >-- > Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> https://momjian.us > EDB https://enterprisedb.com > > Only you can decide what is important to you.